ADVERTISEMENT

Team Identity: Who are we?

JustAvgIllini

Known Member
Gold Member
Dec 9, 2007
Howdy Ags! Usually on a Saturday morning, I wouldn't pose such a deep philosophical question before I've had my second cup of coffee, but this morning I felt the need to make an exception. Seriously, this team is very hard for me to read. Talent everywhere. Weaknesses, sure. Improving, I believe so. But still, for me, very opaque. A few examples...
  • Was the Arky defense that good or were we that poor for 3 quarters? Probably a combination of both. I'm just glad we came around when we did. Don't believe we can afford that today.
  • Are Coach Klein's calls too conservative/vanilla not giving the QBs enough options to work with or are the QBs not seeing what is there in the play calls? Again, probably some of both. I'm a big fan of using motion, especially for young QBs, to establish what the defensive call is i.e., man vs zone.
  • To take the next step, I think we will need to play with what I call "controlled discipline and focus," and that is all the way across the board, specials, offense and defense. We have talent, no doubt, but we also have shortcomings. To cover up for those weaknesses, players and coaches have to maintain intense discipline and focus in all tasks. Mizzou is an experienced and talented team. Cook can be a magician with his fakes on the RPOs. We have to match focus, intensity and discipline. That's how we win and those are the first steps to building a winning identity, Ags.
A surrounded Gig'em from Alabama...

Reactions: CypressAggie
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.