ADVERTISEMENT

Rob's Random Thoughts

-Sellers-

Feb 8, 2009
Good morning all. I'm going to make it a point to get this done once a week and very likely every Thursday morning. There is lots of randomness running through my mind so I'll spit a few out and see what kind of discussions it creates.

Everyones favorite golf weekend is here

First off, the time is on us again for the Masters which is one of the most unique "super bowl" type moments of any sport. The Golden Bear showed everyone yesterday with one swing how universal it is to be even a casual golf fan.

There are some golf fans who play several times a week themselves and will watch all 4 days of the Masters in pure bliss. Then there is the very casual fan who plays a few times a year, maybe participates in their company's annual tournament. They will tune in over the weekend but specifically Sunday for the best round in golf.
In between those two is a whole spectrum of golf players/enthusiast that will all keep some sort of eye on what is unfolding at Augusta this weekend.

I like to play from time to time but never have put the time in to trying to get better. For me the great thing about golf is going with some buddies to a mediocre course, drinking beers and maybe smoking a cigar while I do my best to keep my score in double digits.
Even though I am not great at it, I love getting to hang out with friends on the course.
One thing I have been trying to do for a while now is make it out to TopGolf which looks like a blast and also includes a social aspect for relaxing with friends. Maybe we need to have a AY Happy Hour there once for those interested?

Several players poised to make an impact

I went to go visit my grandfather yesterday, who is back in the hospital again with pneumonia and sepsis (from the pneumonia). The drive to La Grange takes me about 2 hours and I do some of my best thinking when I get on those long drives without the blaring sound of Elmo or Frozen from the back seat.

I thought we should do one of the AY stories where we each share our thoughts (like we did for a while after signing day) and we should each say who we are the most optimistic about on the Aggie team coming out of spring.

To be honest though, four different opinions probably wouldn't cover it even if we did each pick a different person. Although information has been limited due to the limited amount of practice we see, conversations with coaches and those that have seen some of the scrimmage time creates some optimism as the Aggies wrap up spring ball this weekend.
Several newcomers are going to play very valuable minutes. Some out of necessity (see any linebacker on the roster) and some because they are that good and will make a difference (see Justin Evans and Christian Kirk).

On top of that, there are some quality freshmen coming in that are either already penciled into the depth chart or will surprise many and earn their way onto the field (kind of like Armani Watts last season). Daylon Mack, Jordan Davis, Keaton Sutherland, Kyler Murray, Richard Moore, etc. will all see the field this season. Hell, Sutherland has been running with the ones for the last couple of weeks and he is one most would have assumed would redshirt just because. That doesn't incluse the incredible athletes coming into the defensive backfield who will all get a chance to prove they belong in the rotation at cornerback and safety.

We'll still likely do some stories with all of our input but like each year a new crop of players are coming in and the solid group of signees from the last class will have an impact on the program, beginning with 2015.

Aggie Baseball still going strong

Aggie baseball's start is being under-appreciated. I know we don't provide coverage of it but everyone is aware of their amazing start to the season. Sitting at 31-2 with just over a month of regular season baseball left to play, Rob Childress and his crew are poised to make this season historic.

There are still several big weekend series looming between now and the end of the regular season but does anyone really see them losing more than 5 games total during the regular season?

Childress and the team have the opportunity to put an exclamation point on this tremendous start by carrying momentum into the post season and making a run at Omaha. It will be fun to see how they can finish.

This post was edited on 4/9 9:42 AM by -Sellers-

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.