ADVERTISEMENT

Football Practice Six Notes - Quotes & More

courtneyfaye

Staff
Apr 23, 2008
First of all guys, I want to both apologize, for posting these notes etc. late, and also thank all of you here on AY for your patience with me and support over these last few months. I don’t think that words can fully explain my level of gratitude for you all…I can say a few months ago I was about five hours from death…but thankfully I was given another shot =) and did not want to waste it! So, throughout the off-season I put a priority on my full recovery from the events that took place at the start of this year. In doing so, I know I have not been as present on here, but feel confident, at where I am at today to dive back in and give it all I got! So anyways I appreciate you all allowing me the time to get back “in the know´and in contact with all of the right people in order to give you guys the right/and best quality of info

A&M Preseason Training Camp Practice Six Notes, Quotes and More

Tuesday evening was practice No. 6 for Texas A&M, and their second day in full pads. It sure did feel hotter than 97 °F out on the Coolidge practice fields (AND I was in a sleeveless tank top and skirt, so you know it was steaming for the team.) There was A 7 mph wind and 37% humidity (which was enough to cause my glasses to fog up.).

A&M Head Coach Jimbo Fisher is weeding out the weak, and sending a message to their opponents.

“This isn’t utopia,” said Fisher in a statement to the media after day one of full pads.

This is not a game for the mentally nor physically weak, and Coach Fisher has eluded to that in his demeanor and interaction with the staff, and furthermore, the team. The rough, tough and championship attitude has trickled down from the top. I encourage you all to attend the Sunday August 12, open practice in order to see the difference between last year and this year. (The staff has been the ultimate example, showing the team exactly what hard work looks like, and what it can do for you…For example, the level of engagement and energy the coaches have brought every single day to practice. Prior to training camp, Coach Fisher and the staff were the ultimate example for the team as well, showing on the recruiting front what hard work will do. The evidence lies in the result of the current state of the A&M 2019 recruiting class...as you all know, within the last week alone, A&M is making noise on a national stage with the commitment of University Lab four-star ATH Christian Harris, and on Monday evening, commitment of West Mesquite four-star wide receiver Dylan Wright. Per Rivals.com this created movement among the team recruiting rankings for the 2019 class, as the Aggies now are at No. 2 nationally.) The players have picked up on this, and I think you all will enjoy what kind of atmosphere is developing because of it…When looking back at Tuesday’s practice, it probably could be considered the “sloppiest” the team has looked so far, and even then in comparison to last year, I saw positive movement and improvement.

There are 22 days until game one, and the Aggie quarterback competition continues between sophomores Kellen Mond and Nick Starkel. The qb rotation continued and at Tuesday’s practice Mond was with the first team offense. Coach Fisher is waiting for that gut instinct; when he knows, he will know. The player that pushes past the other in terms of aggressiveness, with little mistakes, and he who “wins the team over/gains the trust of the team” will be the starter. Mond has made tremendous strides since the spring exceling in his duel-threat ability. While Starkel has excelled when it comes to arm strength. At this point the majority opinion (keep in mind this is the media opinion, is that Starkel will get the starting job, or at least would if the starter were named today.

(Side note: when looking around at the CFB landscape, QB competitions are happening at some major schools and could really impact the way this season shakes out…for example, just to name a few, Alabama, Clemson, FSU, UCLA, Georgia all have qb competitions happening –granted, some may have more of a clear leader in comparison to the Aggies situation, but nevertheless, they are still technically in competition.)

Noted-worthy movement on Tuesday included that of junior offensive lineman Eric McCoy moving back to right guard. Seeing action at center was sophomore Ryan M\cCollum. Even though the Aggies return four starters along the OL, Coach Turner is having to adjust as Colton Prater, who was at center, sits out. On Tuesday he was on the SL again.

On defense the player that caught my eye on the interior DL was DT was Justin Madubuike. He appears to have really come along, and consistently showed up yesterday/had the most "complete" performance in my opinion. As a unit, the interior DL could prove to be among the strongest this season. Kingsley KeKe continues to make noise and impress the staff, and finally Daylon Mack is showing that five-star play making ability that he had coming into A&M out of high school. The first unit defensive ends were Landis Durham and Keke (who also saw some time at tackle).

Taking a look at corner:
Deshawn Capers Smith is being used a lot in dime package situations

After practice six media spoke with wide receivers Roshauud Paul and Camron Buckley.

SUNDAY AUGUST 12,Th FAN APPRECIATION DAY & OPEN PRACTICE (click here to see more info.)

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News