ADVERTISEMENT

Now that A&M is in the SEC, what would A&M's pallet be for Texas joining ?

ZZTIGER

Jan 11, 2002
I know it's a hypothetical question. I thought A&M joining the SEC was a brilliant move and as it gave Texas a giant middle finger solute when A&M was on the way out of the Big 12. Just curious what A&M fans on this board would think about the SEC inviting Texas into the league if that hypothetical scenario played out. I don't think it will ever happen but this is a "What If" question. Would it be different in the SEC with Texas since Texas wouldn't control the conference at all? Is that something you guys think the A&M fan base would want or be strongly opposed to. Personally, I hate Texas so my vote would be hell no. However, I do understand that you guys have a much different relationship with the Horns and their fans.

This post was edited on 3/23 2:47 PM by ZZTIGER

What I think is pretty obvious is that the Texas fans that used to come to this board just to start crap have all but gone away for the most part. I think says a lot about both programs. Texas A&M moving to the SEC is going to cause Texas more problems than they ever dreamed of. The residents of the state of Texas (namely the young kids coming up) are going to drop the Horns and pick up the Aggies. When that happens, and it is going to happen, the Horns will realize that their glory days of dominating the Aggies and the rest of the Big 12 are long gone and will never return. I personally think it's funny as hell.

texas? texas? I seem to hazily remember that they used to play football -are they a Division 1 team?

AginAf

Reactions: darterbury
The Current 2014 Recruiting Class Standings:

1. aTm -- 10 -- 0 - 6 - 4, Ave 3.60

2. Tx --- 11 -- 0 - 5 - 6, Ave 3.45

3. UF -- 9 -- 0 - 6 - 3, Ave 3.67

4. FSU

5. LSU

6. Tenn

7. Miss

8. Miami

9. tOSU

10. USCw

15. Ark

16. UGA

18. Bama

21. Vandy

23. TCU

24. K-St

25. Baylor

Pretty simple really.....
smokin.r191677.gif

Texas fans will tell you they don't want into the SEC. I think that tune may change once the next tv deal is inked, but I do believe they don't want in just this second. I did see Texas fans running academic smack about the SEC, if you run a head to head comparison of the SEC vs big 12 you'll see that the SEC comes out ahead. Florida, uga, and aTm are all in the neighborhood of UT in academic terms, if a bit lower rated, but Vandy is waaaay ahead of Texas. But once you get past Texas none of the Big 12 schools are very good, and they don't compare favorably with their SEC counter parts.

The money aTm is going to make is secondary, UT will always have cash laying around, but Texas kids are going to want to play in the SEC and there is only one place they can do that and stay in Texas while they do it. The Aggies have set themselves up to dominate the state of Texas IF they play their cards right.

First time posting on your board and would like to congratulate u guys on your first season in the SEC. I thought all along that u guys would be a great fit and bring a lot to the conference. What do u guys think about the SEC Network with ESPN and what does UT fans think about it?

We are excited. This was an amazing week at A&M
Don't care what tu fans think.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

I don't think A&M will ever dominate the state of Texas. I do think that if both programs play their cards right they can both be top 10 teams every year. A&M moving to the SEC was a great move (I admit I was wrong about that), if gives them an edge, something Texas can't offer, but if Texas wins it will always be incredibly appealing to Texas players. The state has enough talent to feed both.

"I don't think A&M will ever dominate the state of Texas."

Ever? We have for stretches already albeit not big stretches in relation to 100 year history.

It took one year for Sumlin to have us recruiting better than Texas and OU.

I think that the short-horns will rapidly become less and less important to

any aTm/SEC fans, just like they did for Ar-kansas when they joined.

The piggies were old SWC Champions, but how many SEC-C have

they won since joining the SEC in 1992?

ZERO, as they are 0-3 in SEC Championship games so far, losing

twice to UF and once to UGA.

As aTm found out last year, you can beat the eventual BCS-NC and still
lose twice to other SEC teams, and it could have been worse. You
won't have the luxury of the Heisman winner every year.

I think we will be better after Manziel on defense assuming we keep our DC and HC.

We could have a Tee Martin QB at some point.

Originally posted by catorano:
I think we will be better after Manziel on defense assuming we keep our DC and HC.

We could have a Tee Martin QB at some point.

Posted from wireless.rivals.com
Yep, aTm had better learn how to play DEFENSE if they want to win consistently in the SEC.

Otherwise:

2008 UF 24 - 14 Okla - OK was the 1 loss Big 12 Champ, #1 Ranked, with the Heisman QB.

(Ok NCAA All Time Season Scoring record - 54 pts/gm, but only 14 against the SEC's #3 defense)

2009 UA 37 - 21 TX

Look forward to losses to the best teams in the SEC yearly....
To win the SEC-C, you need to be near the best in the Nation on defense,
plus at least pretty good in both offense and ST's.
Having a Stable coaching staff is also a big key, and very tough to maintain.

The aggies don't want texas in the SEC ever. Getting away from texas and into the SEC was a stroke of genius for the aggies. It gives us the opportunity to differentiate ourselves from every other texas school. They can offer the big 12 or a lesser conference while we are the only school that can offer the SEC.

Yes texas is still texas, but they haven't been good, or relevant for that matter for a few years now. It looks like Mack is going to stay there and stagnate, and even if they get rid of Mack, there's no guarantee whoever they replace him with will be any good. A&M on the other hand appears to be a rising program with a good coach, good recruits and an edge in the richest recruiting state in the country. Allowing t.u. in would be a big mistake as it negates our recruiting edge and our differentiation from the rest of the state schools.

Finally, and probably the most important fact is that now we are separated from t.u., baylor, purple baylor, tech, etc. During this period of conference realignment being away from those schools and in the most dominant conference is HUGE for A&M. Texas is going to be limited because they are stuck with tech at a minimum and likely baylor and purple baylor as well. That limits their options and bargaining power down the road. Meanwhile A&M gets to sit back, play in the SEC and basically have the SEC recruiting monopoly in texas for the foreseeable future.

UT has NEVER shown any interest in joining the SEC. They always bring up academics, but they did join the Big 8 despite their academics, right? UT will not join a league that they cannot dominate politically, so the SEC is out and look at the football and baseball and women's sports, UT would be way off in the SEC and have no desire to join, unless forced to.

Re: Now that A&M is in the SEC, what would A&M's pallet be for Texas joining?

I think our pallet could handle them easily, although it might be better to put them on a skid.

Hypothetical or not, USC, UF, GA, and KY forced the SEC to adopt

a policy whereby any school in a state that already has a SEC team in it will not be invited. This was done to nix any issues of Clemson, FSU, GT, and Louisville, respectively, clamoring to get in. The best thing to happen to A&M was to get away from Texas. UT made their bed and they're getting what they deserve now. I know A&M fans want to keep playing Texas but I think that game was the only thing UT could hold over the Ags heads. Losing that game is a small price to pay for all the advantages A&M is enjoying with the SEC.

IrmoGamecock is right. The SEC will never invite a team from a state that already has an SEC team. As Gamecocks we do not want clemsux in the league.

clemsux had a chance once to leave the a she she and blew it. To hell with them.

I feel the same way about the shorthorns. They can take there liberal political leanings and rot in austin for all I care.

I would like to see OK and OKS come in. I think that may be a long way off however.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT