ADVERTISEMENT

Monday Thoughts

Mark Passwaters

Staff
Dec 4, 2003
Almost time to find out

Is the window for Aggie football? I believe it is, but we're going to find out shortly.

It's hard to believe, but we're five days out from real, honest to goodness college football. We're probably a day away from getting the official two deep. And then we'll get answers to all the questions we've been mulling over for nine months. Here are some reasons for optimism:

Kyle Allen had a great spring and summer. He has a tremendous talent in Kyler Murray backing him up.
The Aggies are going to be more physical at the point of attack. That should help Tra Carson and James White a lot.
A&M's top four receivers are the best in the conference and maybe the nation.
The offensive line has been working together as a unit since the second week of spring practice.
The defensive line looks both talented and deep.
The linebackers that are in the two deep performed well this summer.
Brandon Williams appears to be a much better corner than anyone anticipated.
The safeties look really good.

The negatives:

All of this is conjecture until a down that matters is played.

Here are some things I think:

I believe Kyle Allen is going to have a tremendous year. His teammates definitely do.
I think the offensive pace is going to be back up to 2013 levels, at least. Allen has things moving quickly.
I think there will be more running the football, and it's not going to be subtle stuff. We will see read option, and I'll bet we'll see it early, but with Tra Carson and James White you want to run it up the gut.
I think the line is going to be capable. I'm not worried about Keaton Sutherland. I may be more worried about Joe Cheek than Sutherland.
Myles Garrett will have a ridiculous season, but the real success rides on Julien Obioha, Alonzo Williams and their backups.
The linebackers are good if healthy. There is no margin for error here. I think Otaro Alaka plays Saturday.
If this defense has picked up John Chavis' system as well as it appears and there is as much talent as he believes, this team can be dangerous.
This is as good a schedule as a team looking to win the SEC West could hope for.
Every other team in this division has their own serious issues to address.

Now, a disclaimer: I have never had so many questions running through my head about an A&M team I've covered. On paper, this bunch looks really good. If Nick Harvey had as good a summer as has been said and Brandon Williams has picked things up as quickly as it appears, then corner is not an issue. When you're supposedly as deep as they are up front, the line shouldn't be an issue. The biggest concerns on the offensive line are two seniors, so really that shouldn't be an issue. You've got two grinders in the backfield and the nation's top high school quarterback from 2014. It looks like it's almost all there.

Of course, there's always confidence before the first kickoff, and then reality sets in. But here's the truth: Kevin Sumlin seems to be very confident in this team. He's spent a lot of other people's money bringing in quality coaches to fix glaring holes. This team has more depth than any other he's had at A&M. So let's see if it all comes together.

My guess? This is a 9-3, 10-2 football team. The window for bigtime success is open, even though I think 2016 is the year where 14 wins becomes a realistic goal. But we'll see. South Carolina's guys were real optimistic on Aug. 25, 2014. 96 hours later, they'd had their heads kicked in.

That's a lack of depth, Charlie

A couple of years ago, A&M was forced due to a serious lack of depth into playing a lot of freshmen. Probably more than I can remember on any team that had a winning record. This year, the Aggies will likely start two true freshmen (Sutherland and Christian Kirk), and have a few others sprinkled into the two-deep.

Texas is currently where A&M was a few years back...except they're in worse shape. They have 23 freshmen in their two-deep going into Notre Dame, including eight starters. There's been some griping about past A&M classes (2013, justifiably so), but man, that's a lack of faith in your upperclassmen. And a lack of depth, period.

Around the SEC West

Alabama has named Jacob Coker their starting quarterback for their opener. It doesn't sound like Coker set the world on fire, because as late as last week, talking heads thought Alec Morris, a junior, might steal the job.

Byron Cowart, the #1 player in the Rivals 100 this past fall, could well start for Auburn at defensive end against Louisville. The Tigers began game practices not knowing who Louisville's starter at QB will be.

It wasn't a good couple of days for Arkansas freshmen. TE C.J. O'Grady was arrested Saturday for DWI, while punter Blake Johnson was busted early Saturday morning for urinating on a light post. Both are suspended.

It looks like Brandon Harris will be the starting QB at LSU, with Les Miles saying he has done nothing to lose the starting position he grabbed at the start of the spring. Miles, by the way, was hospitalized this morning.

Chad Kelly will start at QB for Ole Miss against Tennessee-Martin, but Hugh Freeze said he may not pick a permanent starter for another three weeks.

Mississippi State feels like their defense is being underrated because it lost of bunch of players, but notes that experienced backups like linebacker Richie Brown, cornerback Will Redmond and defensive lineman Chris Jones played a lot of snaps last year, they're just moving into the starting lineup.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News