ADVERTISEMENT

Memorial Day

ffmedic87

Gold Member
Dec 1, 2003
Beaumont
As we Remember those who did not come home from War it makes me even prouder being an Aggie.

Both my and and his younger brother were both class of 1940. I Uncle was a member of the FTAB. I found a letter he wrote to my Grandmother after my dad died where he describe being a 5th Year Sr and he along with another hitchhiked in Uniform Sr boots on to Detroit then went into Canada and joined the RCAF. I know from the flight records I hove that he flew with the RCAF in England and Scotland hitting targets up and down the French coast. It shows he transferred back to the USAAF in September of 1942 be assigned to the 8th AF flying B-17's. My dad told me that my uncle did not like flying the heavies so he took another transfer into a pursuit squadron flying P-38's doing Photo recon while awaiting an opening in a unit headed for the Pacific. He flew Blenheim Medium with the RCAF and the Medium Bombers were what he preferred. He ended up flying with 3rd AF in New Zealand and New Guinea and finally with the 5th AF 405th BG 38th BS flying B-25's and A-20 medium Bombers. I spoke to his former XO a number of years ago he was also a former student c/o 1925. He remembered my uncle because when he transferred into the 405th he had 3 times to points of anyone in the unit. He told me when he asked my uncle why he was still flying he said what my uncle replied struck hi to his core. " I will either end this thing one of 2 ways.. I will walk on the streets of Toyoko or be brought home under our nations flag". He also related that my uncle and 3 others got permission to go over to Corregidor and have Muster. He was later KIA on 19 May 1945. I'm sure most of us either has a family member or know someone who did not come home from war.. For all of them HERE...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News