ADVERTISEMENT

Joe "Big Money" Wilbert

tsip despiser

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2004
Happened to come across a video of the smack down of a Tceh fan and then found an article. Those days in Lubbock were just crazy

Where are they now? Joe 'Big Money' Wilbert

BRYAN, Tex. (KBTX) - Joe Wilbert was one of Texas A&M University's leading scorers from 1993 to 1995.

Wilbert+at+tamu.JPG

He grew up playing basketball in Bryan at East Park, which is now called Sadie Thomas Park.

"East Park is where I learned all of my basketball skills, I learned all my toughness from people that I grew up with in my neighborhood, so East Park played an important role in my life," said Wilbert.

Wilbert played forward for the Bryan High Vikings and helped lead them to a district championship his senior year.

"90-91 team was the best team to ever come through Bryan High. So we can have that debate on Facebook again if we need to," joked Wilbert.

One of his best memories came from his junior year.

"We beat Cy Fair. I hit the game winning shot right over there by the "I" in Vikings. I made it and that was the first experience I ever felt like 'Wow, okay. I'm a basketball player'," explained Wilbert.

After graduation, he spent two years playing at Tyler Junior College before coming to A&M in 1993.

"Good memories and worst memories of my junior year was at Lubbock," said Wilbert.

A&M just beat Texas Tech by one point. Tech fans weren't happy and a fight broke out when fans were blocking the way out of the gym. Wilbert punched one of the fans.

Joe admits it may have not been the best look for him.

"But the Aggie fan base love me for that moment, so I'm okay with that," explained Wilbert.

While the fight may be something he is known for, Joe is also still ranked second overall in A&M history for number of points scored in a season.

After playing basketball professionally in Europe for three years, he came back to the Brazos Valley and worked as a probation officer.

"My first love was being a probation officer because I always wanted to give back because people gave me," explained Joe.

But now, you'll find Joe back on the court.

"People used to holler and yell at me to score points, now people holler and yell at me to call the right call. Being an official has been very challenging to me, but I love it," said Wilbert.

He officiates two or three college games a week. Being a referee keeps him busy, but when he's home, he loves spending time with his family.

He has a seventeen-year-old son that plays basketball for The Woodlands High School and three-year-old twin boys, Jacob & Joseph.

"After the season, I'm kind of like Mr. Mom, so basically I just be with the boys everyday," said Wilbert.

Wilbert says he is thankful for where basketball has lead him & excited for what's to come.

"I enjoy being a father. I enjoy being a husband. I enjoy being a man of God. So there's nothing about my life that I would change right now," said Wilbert.

In the future, Wilbert says he wants to develop a non-profit organization so he can continue to give back.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.