ADVERTISEMENT

HCQ

And to think the Democrats and their media said it didn’t work, just because Trump recommended it. Let them die!

jesus fücking christ.
giphy.gif

Observational study only. 255 patients. No control group. Not exactly scientific. Anecdotal that would need further study of a much larger sample and a control group. And I don't see any of the authors having M.D. behind their names, so we can't suck their snakes. Maybe it's true, and if so, fantastic. Everyone still needs to get vaccinated so we can get this crap behind us.
When the world is trying to manage a raging pandemic, we don’t have the luxury if all these long, scientific control groups and peer reviewed studies. Desperate people were willing to try a safe, long established drug that might save their lives. It was taken out of circulation and pharmas did not even allow patients’ doctors to prescribe it. That’s f-ed up and it was 100% politics.

So ... you just give up????

Well where’s the shovel? Gotta start digging.

This was before there was any vaccine or therapeutics! I doubt giving up was on anyone’s mind at the time.

The real reason ?? If there was ANY kind of treatment approved then there wasn’t the need for the vaccine! Federal money was at stake! THAT’S the real reason!
There were a number of more effective therapeutics than HCQ that were used with limited success. So the option was never HCQ, or nothing. Also, the vaccine was necessary, even if a treatment was found. Trump did the right thing by pushing for that. If only he could persuade the conspiracy theory crowd to take it, we could get this behind us.

Last edited:
This seems like a pretty low bar for a therapy. Most treatments require a level of efficacy before they’re approved, not simply an absence of side affects.
That’s the type of comment some academia type makes. If a doctor and infected patient wished to try it, they should be allowed to. There was no alternative and no downside.

That’s the type of comment some academia type makes. If a doctor and infected patient wished to try it, they should be allowed to. There was no alternative and no downside.
Look, there were a number of alternatives that emerged early and were more effective. Convalescent plasma
therapy was used very early. It had also shown success in the Spanish flu pandemic.

You guys are being ridiculous on both “sides”. Big shocker to see where the politics line up on each argument. Should this treatment have been allowed with more access to the general public? Absolutely. Was it a magical cure? Absolutely not. This was a pandemic that no one was prepared for so all options should have been on the table, devoid of politics. Unfortunately, this is a prime example of how something very simple was politicized on both sides to become a much bigger issue than it ever should have been. Let doctors be doctors and treat their patients in ways they believe in and see results, not the way Fox or CNN think they should be treated.

2th - this didnt save millions of lives but it does show limited efficacy so I agree that it should have been in the stable of treatments. But you didn’t present anything earth shattering and simply put, it’s not some miracle. So shut the fvck up about it.

Agswag - of course it’s not a miracle but your continued argument against it is borne entirely out of your political leanings and we all know that. Again, it should have been in the stable of treatments with most sane people knowing it’s not going to save everyone and as you pointed out, there are multiple other treatments to consider. So shut the fvck about it.

You guys are being ridiculous on both “sides”. Big shocker to see where the politics line up on each argument. Should this treatment have been allowed with more access to the general public? Absolutely. Was it a magical cure? Absolutely not. This was a pandemic that no one was prepared for so all options should have been on the table, devoid of politics. Unfortunately, this is a prime example of how something very simple was politicized on both sides to become a much bigger issue than it ever should have been. Let doctors be doctors and treat their patients in ways they believe in and see results, not the way Fox or CNN think they should be treated.

2th - this didnt save millions of lives but it does show limited efficacy so I agree that it should have been in the stable of treatments. But you didn’t present anything earth shattering and simply put, it’s not some miracle. So shut the fvck up about it.

Agswag - of course it’s not a miracle but your continued argument against it is borne entirely out of your political leanings and we all know that. Again, it should have been in the stable of treatments with most sane people knowing it’s not going to save everyone and as you pointed out, there are multiple other treatments to consider. So shut the fvck about it.
I can get behind this.

Reactions: FbFan222
Ok this is my last post on this and For my sanity I need to step away.
Just because a drug has been approved by the fda doesn’t mean you can necessarily use it for whatever you want. The approval is for treatment within certain disease states

HCQ has had multiple studies that have shown it to have very little (if any) efficacy in treating covid 19.

y’all argue that it has little side effects so what’s the harm in giving it out? My answer is two pronged 1) every drug has side effects and I am always hesitant to approve something that can add potential harm if there isn’t benefit 2) (and more major for me) is that there are disease states that are treated with HCQ and those patients suddenly couldn’t obtain their medication when everyone is rushing to get it for covid.

Reactions: MeatWalletMassacre
Here is an excerpt from the FDA media release regarding the EUA being revoked (full release linked below):

"Today, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) revoked the emergency use authorization (EUA) that allowed for chloroquine phosphate and hydroxychloroquine sulfate donated to the Strategic National Stockpile to be used to treat certain hospitalized patients with COVID-19 when a clinical trial was unavailable, or participation in a clinical trial was not feasible. The agency determined that the legal criteria for issuing an EUA are no longer met. Based on its ongoing analysis of the EUA and emerging scientific data, the FDA determined that chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine are unlikely to be effective in treating COVID-19 for the authorized uses in the EUA. Additionally, in light of ongoing serious cardiac adverse events and other potential serious side effects, the known and potential benefits of chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine no longer outweigh the known and potential risks for the authorized use."

This was released June 15, 2020. Still well within the previous administration.

The EUA was revoked due to lack of efficacy and potential serious side effects.

There seems to be some confusion as to how and why HCQ was not available for COVID patients.
Just trying to clear that up.

And they were allowed, and they did.

Not sure you know my political leanings, but as a conservative republican that wasn’t a supporter of Donald Trump, I try not to let my political leanings get in the way of taking a reasonable position on issues. Maybe more to the point, I try to make sure my political leanings don’t color my thinking when it comes to treatment and prevention measures on COVID 19, or any other medical matter.

• Haha
Reactions: darterbury
We get national stories about 12 kids getting cardiomyopathy out of 10,000 with the vaccine. I’m skeptical but open to whatever number I hear. In an era where shocking but rare anecdotes fill the 24 hour news cycle and 3% number would get coverage. A lot of it.
My post wasnt about the vaccine, but people getting myocarditis after having covid. My SNL had little to no symptoms from the virus, but was diagnosed with myocarditis shortly after having covid.

Not sure you know my political leanings, but as a conservative republican that wasn’t a supporter of Donald Trump, I try not to let my political leanings get in the way of taking a reasonable position on issues. Maybe more to the point, I try to make sure my political leanings don’t color my thinking when it comes to treatment and prevention measures on COVID 19, or any other medical matter.
You are a conservative. you sure?

One of the problems with the Republican Party is the orthodoxy that argues that John McCain, and the Bushs were not conservative, but that somehow Donald Trump was. I suspect William Buckley would have had much more in common with the world view of McCain and Bush than Trump.
I personally do not think Trump is a conservative. I have not liked Trump before not liking Trump was cool. Trump's greatest achievement is exposing the corruption and the power of the establishment. We the people have no power. Who ever is president is not running the country.

well, HCQ works waaaaay better than you aholes seem to think..
it works at the cellular level, where viral proteins are prevented from
attaching to the cell, thereby blocking viral replication and invasion..
so it's more effective BEFORE the viral load ampilifies to a point that
the host is praying for a miracle while lying on an ICU bed.

Redshirt I don't want to say you're a dumbass but I'm left with few options..
The vaccines are highly suspect and wildly under-researched, but regardless of that, they didn't exist until the couple hundred thousand Americans had already died needlessly due to liberals being unable to afford having orange man be right about this, even if it was simply encouragement of the public psyche on his part

At the very beginning, Trump said, "I am no doctor, but what do you have to lose?" From the way I understood it, it is only effective if started at the very early stages of the virus. There are doctors that swear by it. I think the only study I read about was one where people were already in bad shape, and it didnt do them any good.

Reactions: clayber
I personally do not think Trump is a conservative. I have not liked Trump before not liking Trump was cool. Trump's greatest achievement is exposing the corruption and the power of the establishment. We the people have no power. Who ever is president is not running the country.
I cant say I liked Trump, but I sure liked his policies and what he was trying to get accomplished. I agree about the corruption. The last one I would have thought was the FBI. Trump never had a real chance to govern because he was not welcomed to DC by the media, democrats and some republicans. I think his MOUTH had a lot to do with it.

So ignore all of the research that says this stuff didn’t work and accept one study that said 80% of treated patients still died? Just want to make sure that’s what success looks like.
That’s mostly right. Just add in that the one study being accepted is a grossly under powered observational study that wasn’t peer reviewed and no author is an MD, while others were randomized control studies - otherwise known as the gold standard.

You also have to add in a truly bizarre conspiracy theory that the whole world stopped using it because the media in the US doesn’t like Trump. You may think that unique thought is belied by the fact the vaccines came out during Trump’s presidency and they were not universally panned by the media, physicians, academics, Democrats and the rest of the word. You need to just set consistency aside.

Finally, you have to accept the even more bizarre position that Trump once said HQC may be effective so all his supporters love it for its unapproved use, but hate the vaccine because though developed through a great program he initiated and he supports it, there is now a Democrat in office so it must make you grow a third arm.

Last edited:
That’s mostly right. Just add in that the one study being accepted is an grossly under powered observational study that wasn’t peer reviewed and no author is an MD, while others were randomized control studies - otherwise known as the gold standard.

You also have to add in a truly bizarre conspiracy theory that the whole world stopped using it because the media in the US doesn’t like Trump. You may think that unique thought is belied by the fact the vaccines came out during Trump’s presidency and they were not universally panned by the media, physicians, academics, Democrats and the rest of the word. You need to just set consistency aside.

Finally, you have to accept the even more bizarre position that Trump once said HQC may be effective so all his supporters love it for its unapproved use, but hate the vaccine because though developed through a great program he initiated and he supports it, there is now a Democrat in office so it must make you grow a third arm.
No Trump supporter I know loved it because Trump said it might be effective. There are some people thinks it saved their lives and many doctors supported its use. Most agreed with Trump's statement, "What do you have to lose." If I had been put in that situation, I would have tried it for the very reason that I had nothing to lose. It had nothing to do with Trump's supporting it. It had more to do with what some doctors were saying, along with a few people saying it saved their lives.

Reactions: slgilmore
Redshirt I don't want to say you're a dumbass but I'm left with few options..
The vaccines are highly suspect and wildly under-researched, but regardless of that, they didn't exist until the couple hundred thousand Americans had already died needlessly due to liberals being unable to afford having orange man be right about this, even if it was simply encouragement of the public psyche on his part
Name calling is not a valid argument. The vaccines have infinite more research and are proven safe and effective by millions. Seems like trying to arguing something that doesn’t even matter anymore.

Last edited:
No Trump supporter I know loved it because Trump said it might be effective. There are some people thinks it saved their lives and many doctors supported its use. Most agreed with Trump's statement, "What do you have to lose." If I had been put in that situation, I would have tried it for the very reason that I had nothing to lose. It had nothing to do with Trump's supporting it. It had more to do with what some doctors were saying, along with a few people saying it saved their lives.
I’m on board with this. If I was dying I’d take anything that had hope.

And maybe people didn’t support it bc Trump said it, but lots think the lack of support world wide was due to Trump supporting it. That’s ignorant and ignores scientific evidence. Like saying Covid would go away right after the election. Just dumb and ignores the fact the US isn’t the only country in the world.

That’s mostly right. Just add in that the one study being accepted is an grossly under powered observational study that wasn’t peer reviewed and no author is an MD, while others were randomized control studies - otherwise known as the gold standard.

Got it. Thanks for clarifying.

I think it probably did save lives but by no means is it or was it “the cure” like some are attempting to spin this. I too would have taken it when there were no other options.

That’s mostly right. Just add in that the one study being accepted is a grossly under powered observational study that wasn’t peer reviewed and no author is an MD, while others were randomized control studies - otherwise known as the gold standard.

I guess not every degree at A&M requires logic

I think it probably did save lives but by no means is it or was it “the cure” like some are attempting to spin this. I too would have taken it when there were no other options.
To my knowledge, there was only one study and it said it had no benefit. If I am not mistaken, it was by CDC, and they didnt do just the early stages of the virus. It has to be given before a person gets into critical condition. There was a study in PA that showed favorable results. There was a group of doctors (7 or 8) addressed the public on TV really supporting HQC. This really makes makes it confusing to me because the 2020 election showed me that many in our upper government is crooked. Now it appears Tony Fauci might fall into that group to a certain extent. Do you not see how that would be confusing to me, especially someone that doesnt HATE Trump. I really dont think anyone thinks its a cure, but they think it has a good chance of being a lot more effective than the media and CDC is reporting.

Reactions: clayber
I’m on board with this. If I was dying I’d take anything that had hope.

And maybe people didn’t support it bc Trump said it, but lots think the lack of support world wide was due to Trump supporting it. That’s ignorant and ignores scientific evidence. Like saying Covid would go away right after the election. Just dumb and ignores the fact the US isn’t the only country in the world.
How quickly does Covid go away with hundreds of thousands of unvaccinated “undocumented aliens” flooding the border and entering the United States illegally?

How quickly does Covid go away with hundreds of thousands of unvaccinated “undocumented aliens” flooding the border and entering the United States illegally?
They are not masked up either. This just burns me.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT