ADVERTISEMENT

Halftime Observations

Mark Passwaters

Staff
Dec 4, 2003
It’s another one of those games at Davis-Wade, where A&M just plays terribly. For a change, though, they’re winning at the half.

Defensively, the Aggies look like crap. They’re not tackling, they’re not covering, and they’re letting Michael Van Buren have his way. Jeff Lebby has outreached Mike Elko and Jay Bateman so far.

Van Buren is really good but this is inexcusable. Everything A&M is doing State has an answer for. First, I absolutely despise the 3-man front they’ve been running, or having the JACK out there all the time. They’re undersized as a result and State has taken full advantage with the running game. At least, in the first quarter. They had 5 yards rushing in the second. But still, it was bad preparation and it cost them.

Jaydon Hill needs to be off the field. He gets picked on repeatedly and is costing the team points. He repeatedly gets beat deep and it’s just not something that can happen in the SEC.

The corners are playing way too soft and giving up way too much yardage before the ball is even thrown.

They’re getting a lot of pressure on Van Buren now, but they’re leaving the middle of the field open and he’s getting away from them that way. They’ve got to clean that up. The one time they got in his face, it ended up being a pick. And it would help if they came out and played with some level intensity. It looked like a JV game on State’s last drive, with guys out of position and not hustling.

Offensively, A&M has been ok. Conner Weigman has carried the team and has been really good except for that one bad overthrow that ended up in a pick (which actually ended up being points for A&M). He’s 7-11 for 121 yards and has been really on when it matters — 3rd down. Jabre Barber has broken out, with 5 catches for 87 yards. Noah Thomas has a touchdown, but other guys have to get involved too.

I don’t know why Le’Veon Moss wasn’t out there late in the second quarter, but it’s concerning. That’s a guy who can bash State and did early on (though it was called back). The offensive line has done just fine in pass protection, but they’re not blowing State’s defensive line off the ball, and they’re 124th in the nation against the run. Having 3.7 yards a rush at the half sucks.

I hate coming here and I hate how the Aggies play when they are here. But A&M just needs to play their game — run the ball and stuff the run, applying pressure smartly. State can’t stop them. So A&M needs to stop stopping themselves.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.