ADVERTISEMENT

Halftime Observations

Mark Passwaters

Staff
Dec 4, 2003
I'm not sure how anyone can be satisfied with that half. Two drops, an interception and a horsecollar penalty.

Just kidding. This thing is a massacre. A&M is crushing USC in every conceivable manner.

The Aggies have outgained Carolina 268 to 11. They're doing whatever they want whenever they want to and Carolina cannot get anything going on offense.

I said in the pregame breakdown that A&M should just come out and lean on these guys, and that's what they've done. Spiller and Achane have a combined 147 yards and are averaging 5.4 yards a carry -- and that's after South Carolina started absolutely selling out to stop the run. 10 guys in the box on those last couple of plays. So congratulations to them for figuring out A&M wants to run after they're already down 28. Odds are real good the Aggies will pick it back up after halftime.

Bryce Foster is having a great game. I've seen him as the lead pulling blocker on counters, something Erik McCoy used to do. That's elite level stuff. The A&M gameplan for the running game was to come out and run right at South Carolina's stud DE Kingsley Enagbare, and he spent the first quarter flat on his butt. He has one tackle and one ridiculous celebration for drawing a false start down four touchdowns.

Zach Calzada had one stupid throw where he tried to force the ball to Ainias into double coverage, but has been good otherwise. He's had the two drops, but he's gotten better as the game went on. This has been Jalen Wydermyer's best game by a mile (even with a drop); he's blocking really well and that screen pass to him was a perfectly designed play. I literally called his first touchdown pass, and everyone knew Demond Demas was going to get the ball when he caught the 27-yarder down the sideline. When he came out and had man coverage and the guy was off him, it was a gimme. And Calzada made a nice throw, Demas made a nice catch.

5 different A&M receivers have caught passes, and they're rotating five receivers: Demas, Smith, Preston, Chapman and Chase Lane. They've come a long way from earlier this year when they only trusted two or three guys.

Defensively, it's abuse. Carolina can get no push, can't run and Zeb Noland is getting battered. A&M only has one official sack, but Noland has been hit at least 10 times and two "keepers" were within inches of being sacks.
The running game has been destroyed. South Carolina has 13 carries for -10 yards. That includes the botched snap and 19 yards loss that Aaron Hansford recovered, but still, they've got nothing. Their long run is 8 yards, and that was Noland running for his life.
USC's receivers can't get open and the Aggie linemen are just beating their opponents on every. Single. Snap. Micheal Clemons is coming around the corner like a man possessed, and Tyree Johnson has a sack already. Leon O'Neal timed up his blitz perfectly and nearly had a sack. If they keep playing like this, there's nothing USC can do.

Oh, and you have a 95-yard punt return for a score and a field goal.

USC is bad. But A&M is playing at a very high level and making it look even worse. At this point, go lean on them some more, work on the deep passing game (But don't turn it over) and keep applying pressure. I thought A&M might drub someone 49-0 or worse this year, but thought it would be Prairie View. It may be tonight.
Oh, and A&M gets the kickoff to start the half.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News