Mark Passwaters

Staff
Dec 4, 2003
For all your home, car, and life insurance needs, contact our sponsor:

Phone: 281-971-3362

Email:
paul@westhoustonsf.com

Weigman on a roll as season opener nears
From what we've been told, quarterback Conner Weigman -- who already has looked sharp -- has had a very good two weeks of practice leading up to tomorrow's game against No. 7 Notre Dame. This may be the toughest defense A&M faces all year, but Weigman has looked really good as game prep has continued. And, in case you were wondering, quarterback runs are in the playbook for him, so there's no worry about his ankle.

Depth chart gamesmanship?

When A&M released its depth chart Monday, I said I wasn't sure how accurate it was. And I still have my doubts. One area where I'm definitely not buying is at wide receiver, where Terry Bussey wasn't included at all. From what we've heard, he definitely is in the real two-deep and should have a role in tomorrow night's game. Clearly, you want to get a guy with his skill set involved however you can, so he may be doing more than just running routes. It may be a waste of time to think Marcus Freeman and the Fighting Irish are paying attention to the depth chart but...then again, maybe not.

Ags have their four corners
Even though there were more ORs than a rowing team in the secondary, we've been told who to expect to be actually out on the field at corner. It's no surprise that Will Lee will start, but the other start is a bit surprising.
It's Jayvon Thomas.
The sophomore, who has made bigtime progress since last year, is supposed to be one of the first two corners on the field. The other two corners who will play are BJ Mayes and Dezz Ricks. This will be Ricks' first collegiate game at corner; he played on special teams in two games for Alabama last year.

Aggies wary of Leonard's running ability
Even though coach Mike Elko said he thinks Notre Dame QB Riley Leonard has an advantage over him because he knows Elko's defense, it doesn't take away from the fact that Elko knows Leonard's tendencies from their time at Duke. Probably most importantly in this case, he knows Leonard's running ability and what he does do when he takes off. In order to get a little more speed on the field, don't be surprised if sophomore Daymion Sanford gets the start opposite Taurean York, though Solomon DeShields and Scooby Williams should play as well.

MASSIVE recruiting weekend ahead
The Aggies will have close to 100 recruits on campus for this game, including at least 23 members of the 2026 Rivals 250. If you want to see a good part of the list, click HERE.
On the 2025 front, they have one big name coming in: 4-star wideout Jerome Myles from Corner Canyon in Draper, Utah, is making the trip. Myles remains uncommitted, though Utah seems to be the choice for most prognosticators -- for now. If the Aggies can put together a strong game this weekend and the Kyle Field crowd brings it as they likely will, that could be enough to not only sway Myles, but help them with some key 2026 targets as well.

Perception vs. Reality?
With the release of the depth chart, A&M set a starting lineup on the offensive line of Trey Zuhn, Chase Bisontis, Koli Faaiu OR Mark Nabou, Ar'maj Reed-Adams and Dametrious Crownover OR Deuce Fatheree.
I am still not sold on that being the case. If it is, and Reed-Adams has moved back to right guard, that's fantastic because he can be a top-notch guard. But I'm still of the opinion we could see Zuhn/Bisontis/Faaiu/Nabou/Reed-Adams tomorrow. We saw that for more than two weeks in camp and, if it's not the case, then either Crownover or Fatheree put their foot down and hit the gas to move to the front of the line.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.