ADVERTISEMENT

Few Last Game Day Thoughts...

JustAvgIllini

Known Member
Gold Member
Dec 9, 2007
Good Afternoon, Ags. Hope All of You are Well. I just had a few last things I was thinking about as we were getting down to these last few hours before kickoff and open them up for a little discussion.
  • Conner's reads & our receivers' "wins" vs coverage - In my view, both have to be way above average today. Conner must process exceptionally well ("Yeah, I know, he needs the time is a given..."). If it's not there, he must get to the second and third reads quickly and decisively. With that, we cannot afford to have receivers being blanketed, especially if they choose not to blitz. That just allows them to drop more and make the passing lanes more difficult.
  • TEs must come up Big! - I could be wrong on this one, but I don't think so. I think we need them to have really good games in both the passing and run games. I've watched a lot of Coach Klein's offense and TEs are crucial to its success. Moreover, I also believe some of our bigger advantages in the pass game will be with our TEs.
  • To Blitz or Not to Blitz. That is the Question... - There will be some pressures. The only question is from where and how much. Coach Bateman, like Coach Elko, will run a lot of disguised stuff. What he Won't Do is waste 250 DEs covering 20 yards downfield. The flat on occasion, maybe. If we can get home with four, no problem. It'll be a lot of four, five or six man rushes, regardless. And it'll be fun!!
Couple More Hours Til The Real Gig'ems Start, Ags!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.