ADVERTISEMENT

Easy to Make Kalua Pork Recipe

ArmyTanker

Known Member
Sep 25, 2020
I thought perhaps some of you want a different flavor profile.

• Stud the pork with garlic: Everything is better with garlic! I use a paring knife to cut deep slits into pieces of pork shoulder, pressing sliced garlic cloves into each pocket. The garlic flavors the pork from the inside out, nearly melting away as the pork braises. It is so good.
  • Brown the pork shoulder: Taking a couple of minutes to brown the pork before braising promotes a richer, deeper flavor.
  • SEASONING – The recipe calls for a generous amount of salt & liquid smoke – don’t be alarmed by the measurements. The natural flavors of both pork shoulder & banana leaf are incredibly rich & earthy. Kalua pig’s seasonings need to be able to stand up to those big flavors. Take the time to use your hands to rub the seasoning into the surface of the pork (lomilomi-style!).
  • WRAPPING – Banana leaves are pretty large, so it’s helpful to cut them down into a few smaller pieces, bundling the pork layer by layer. The banana leaf may split a little bit as you wrap the pork, which is totally fine – just do your best to completely encase the pork. You can substitute with one banana peel. Do not use a whole banana because the pork will taste like banana. You want a hint of banana.
  • BRAISING – Place the banana leaf-wrapped pork shoulder into a Dutch oven, which functions as the DIY imu in this kalua pig recipe. Set in the oven to braise for a couple of hours, until the pork is fall-apart tender. Your kitchen will smell heavenly!

You can make it in a slow cooker and pressure cooker.

• Boneless pork shoulder – Also commonly called a Boston butt or pork butt. Look for a meaty roast with nice marbling, which, when braised, transforms into succulent, fall-apart tender, & richly flavored pulled pork. Learn more about pork shoulder here.
  • Banana leaf – An absolutely crucial component of this recipe. Much like authentic Hawaiian kalua pig, the pork shoulder is wrapped in banana leaf before it braises, infusing it with a rich, earthy flavor. This earthiness is impossible to replicate without it! You can find banana leaf sold in the freezer section of most well-stocked Asian grocery stores.
  • Hawaiian sea salt – Another crucial component of this kalua pig recipe. Hawaiian salt is richer in minerals than conventional salt (& it’s as authentic as it gets!). I use this ‘Alaea salt (red clay salt with naturally occurring minerals & iron) & this Hawaiian sea salt in my kitchen – either will work wonderfully in this recipe.
  • Liquid smoke – A cheater ingredient to add smokiness without actually smoking the pork. I like using hickory liquid smoke, but mesquite works well in this recipe, too. You can find liquid smoke in most conventional grocery stores, near the BBQ sauces.
  • Garlic – One of my additions, which is certainly not authentic…but it’s delicious!

Reactions: CSAg03 and OferAg
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News