ADVERTISEMENT

Bean Bits

vasobean

Gold Member
Dec 16, 2003
Will have more possibly Friday, I think they have a Thursday scrimmage and will get some feedback after the scrimmage.

- Regarding Chavis drill from early last week, they ran it with the DB's and each player would basically go 4 times at each spot, and they did it twice. The guys said they were flat out gassed by the end, it was a tough drill. Some of the comments about how LSU compared to ours did not take into account how many reps our guys had had, as some of those on tape were some of the last ones and the guys had no legs. Part of getting back into football shape and competing.

- Sam Moeller was the only one to get to the dummy

- With Chavis, he has Moeller and Burns running at safety, not nickel like last year. They like a CB style player to be the nickel when they run nickel. Ellis ran nickel primarily in the scrimmage

- Ellis had one pick in scrimmage, Evans had two, and R Moore had the other one

- Word on Chavis is very positive from the players. Three different people commented on the same theme, he sees everything on the field it seems, even when he is working a drill with the DL, for example, he notices the other drills and will go out of his way to find a player later to either praise, teach, or light up someone at those other drills.

- The players so far say he is as intense as we hear about, but they are all impressed with how much he teaches during the drills, lot of fundamentals, not all hollering. Also, he is quick to praise when someone does it right and will use them as an example in front of the team during the drill or in tape session

- Evans had a strong scrimmage, graded well

- Some DB's commented on B Williams burst and how they took too aggressive of an angle on him and paid for it.

- Moeller graded out very well too, 3 pass breakups and 5 tackles, one for a loss

- Freshman Davis is a great athlete, but has a lot of football learnin' coming his way, very green

- Aggies do a great job with Friday Night Lights, the recruits eat it up. Dont get hung up on committments, they will come, just know that the recruits rave about it and apparently the coaches do a very good job with parents too. I do not think Sumlin has lost his juice, we have some solid recruiters, just need to couple that with Wins in the Fall

- Also on Moeller, if you watch the pass breakup he had near the end zone on the short highlight video of the scrimmage, the coaches apparently watched it multiple times from several angles trying to determine if it was targeting or not. I am going to go back and look now myself, but the team had better camera angles. Nevertheless, they told Sam to keep bringing it

- Regarding the pro day, it reminded me of the discussion we had last December about FOOTBALL PLAYERS. Floyd Raven has crazy measurables, but his 4.4 speed means nothing if your first two steps are wrong. Give me a guy MAKES PLAYS, reads the play and gets there when it counts, during the game, over the measurables.

- On the other side of that is Malcolm Kennedy, who maybe did not have all the measurables, but knows how to play the game and get open and MAKE PLAYS. He is a FOOTBALL PLAYER.

- Say what you want about J Winston off the field (I dont care much for him either) but he does not play football like a 4.9 guy. Combine stuff drives me crazy, put in the tape and watch the whole game and evaluate players.

Will try to have more on the offense after this next scrimmage, really only got feedback from D players after Friday.

Bean

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News