ADVERTISEMENT

A Lot Of Lithium Batteries In Golf Carts Catching On Fire

MichaelWard2022

Gold Member
Oct 5, 2022
There was a house close to me that burned completely down Wednesday morning at 2:00 am.

It just so happened that a buddy of mine was one of the fire chiefs that responded to the call.

The home owner was actually filming his house burning when my buddy arrived and told the fire department that he was awaken by his smoke alarms going off and open the door going into his garage to see his golf cart completely engulfed in flames and he shut the door and called 911.

Unfortunately he lost everything including his truck and an antique Mercedes between the fire and the hundreds of gallons of water it took to put it out.

My buddy was telling me of something the fire department refers to as "Thermal Runaway" as being the cause. I had to look up the meaning and it's when heat in the battery exceeds the amount of heat that dissipates into the batteries surroundings or when a lithium battery cell enters an uncontrollable self heating state.

I called by buddy Friday and asked him what would he do if he had a lithium battery in his cart and he said he'd only charge it when he was home (and awake) and unplug it as soon as it reached full charge. He said if you have one and leave it charging all of the time you're taking huge gamble.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.