ADVERTISEMENT

TIDBITS, sponsored by Paul Cleveland State Farm

Mark Passwaters

Staff
Dec 4, 2003
Yes, we have a new sponsor (if you're still interested, there's room for you too). This is a great addition because Paul's not only a longtime AY Member, but he's also my agent. Home, life, auto, you name it, State Farm can cover it -- and you and your family. And if you know Paul, he takes his work seriously and gets it right the first time.
So if you need insurance help, hit him up:
281-971-3362 (office)
paul@westhoustonsf.com

Durkin was the guy all along
If you think back to the early signing period, I said several times that I expected the process of hiring a DC would be pretty quick and the signees likely knew who it was. And then things kind of stagnated, which left me a little confused. The sources on this one were nails, so what was the issue? Did the target back out? At that time, I didn't know who exactly it was.
As it turns out, the target was now-DC DJ Durkin the whole time. Durkin and Jimbo share the same agent, Jimmy Sexton, so the lines of communication were obviously pretty clear. When Jimbo held his press conference and was asked about the job, he said the Aggies would keep doing what they're doing (running a base 4-2-5) with whoever came on. And I mentioned at that point that keeping the current position coaches was going to be a requirement.
Durkin agreed to those things quickly and the framework of a deal was struck, but he (Durkin) wanted to stay with Ole Miss through the Sugar Bowl. That slowed down the process somewhat, and there was a bit of hesitation on Durkin's part, but not much. It just took a few days to iron things out. But the guys who told me the DC had been targeted and they'd get him have since told me Durkin was the guy from the jump, especially when it became clear Will Muschamp would be in line for the Georgia DC job.

This next week could be big for the OL coach search

If you like college football, San Antonio is the place to be this weekend. Not only will the Army All-American game be this weekend, but the AFCA Coaches Convention starts Sunday. This is a huge event, similar to the baseball winter meetings (cancelled this year) or the NFL annual meetings. Coaches and coaching candidates are all in the same spot.
You see where I'm going with this. Unless A&M is hiring the offensive line coach of Georgia or Alabama (unlikely), there's a good chance Jimbo Fisher and his target could meet in person to discuss the job. If that's the case, something could come together quickly.

Army practice updates

The game is tomorrow morning at 11 a.m. The Aggies won't have as many players in it as initially expected, as DE Enai White tested positive for COVID and has been stuck in his hotel room since Monday. And he's not at all happy about it, publicly calling the Bowl out on Twitter.

But there have been several Aggies who had nice weeks of practice, especially CB Smoke Bouie. He is a CB, but has played receiver as well this week. His speed wasn't in question, and he's been an absolute burner. But his agility is off the charts. His cuts are outstanding, his cover skills are absolutely top notch and he's able to quickly change direction either on the ground or in the air as he's jumping. His work has been impressive, and A&M fans should feel really good about all four corners that have signed.

OL Hunter Erb will be an interesting player to watch tomorrow. The video from practice seems to show him looking less stiff and quicker than he was at the Rivals camp last April, a performance that made me think that he might be better suited to play guard. Overall, the talent level at the Army game isn't as good as the UA Game, but the defensive line players are really strong. If Erb holds his own at tackle tomorrow, that would be a good sign for his future prospects on the outside.

PK Ethan Moczulski has been the best kicker in Army practices. He's shown off a huge leg, hitting field goals from 50-yards plus. He'll likely backup Caden Davis for a year or two, but a big leg that is just what the doctor ordered.

Aggies got out on Evans quickly

The never-ending drama that is Zach Evans added another chapter yesterday when he committed to Ole Miss. That decision was expected, as frankly, nobody else went after him after an initial glance. A&M, Tennessee and Georgia, among others, said thanks but no thanks fast.
And keep in mind, this is a guy who averaged 7 yards a carry last year. It wasn't like he had a bad season. He had a great one.
But he had all the other things that come with Zach Evans. The former Academic All-Big 12 selection during a Zoom semester...didn't have the same success this fall, and we'll leave it at that. He didn't leave TCU on very favorable terms with the coaching staff, and there were real questions on how he'd fit into a strong locker room setting. A lot of teams, the Aggies included, decided it was not worth the trouble. Ole Miss decided he was.
There is absolutely no question about Evans' talent. He's got it all. But when teams who want to contend for a national title in 2022 decide the reward isn't worth the risk, it's telling.

A&M still looking at experienced receivers

Even though the Aggies will get Caleb Chapman and Ainias Smith back from injuries and have added Evan Stewart, Noah Thomas and Chris Marshall to the receiver corps, they're still on the lookout for immediate help from a veteran.
Last night, the Aggies offered former Hawaii wideout Nick Mardner. Mardner put up huge numbers for Hawaii last season -- 46 catches, 913 yards (19.8 YPC) and 5 TDs. He's also 6-foot-6, so he's got tremendous size. He's from Canada and was under-recruited, which is what helped him end up out west.
A&M is also showing interest in former Wyoming receiver Isaiah Neyor. Neyor caught 44 passes for 878 yards and 12 touchdowns (20 YPC) this past season. He's also big (6-foot-3) but more physical at 210 pounds.

Jimbo Fisher on Paul Finebaum:

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News