How 'bout those Charlie $tronghorn$???

Chile Pequin

Gold Member
Oct 13, 2001
Corsicana, TX
Guess he's not the longhorns' messiah, huh? Love his "Core Value$"
3dgrin.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 1/28 6:28 PM by Chile Pequin

Re: How 'bout those Charlie Stronghorns???

Based on all the great things the entire whorn nation is yodelling about Coach-'Em-Up Chuck in the bloody aftermath of the BYU Massacre, I'm pretty sure they're going to give him an extension after he loses to UCLA.

The latest from Rivals Recruiting Analyst, Rob Cassidy...

"104, 728 fans (A&M) that showed up to watch Texas A&M crush a creampuff opponent over the weekend. It was the largest crowd ever to witness a football game in the state of Texas."

The number alone doesn't prove that the Aggies are now the premier football program in Texas. It does, however, help drive home a point that is already clear: Little brother no more, A&M is out-playing and out-recruiting Kevin Sumlin from conquering UT. That's been clear for a while.

"364 days between losses to BYU for mighty Texas. Fire Mack Brown! Or something like that.

Getting blown out at home by a non-Power Five school isn't an indictment of Charlie Strong's staff. It probably didn't set the pace for his reign as head coach, either. It's one game. Upsets happen, and nobody thought this season would be easy. What it does, however, is alter perception. And getting blown out by BYU twice in the course of two seasons is a hit for the perception Texas, a program that hadn't lost to a school not in a BCS conference in the 19 years. Perception is reality in recruiting. And if the prospects on your recruiting board view your program as major rebuilding project, then that's what is."

From Rivals Recruiting Analyst, Jason Howell...

Texas A&M possibly falling back to the pack without Johnny Football.

Well, Kenny Hill leading the way. The momentum and excitement are at all-time highs in College Station, and the Aggies with their exciting offense and budding defense are one of the hottest programs in the country.

On the other hand, there is Texas, who continues to scratch its head and search for answers after a second consecutive blowout loss to Oklahoma. It could get real ugly in Austin over the next month. -- Jason Howell, Midlands recruiting analyst[/B]

happy.r191677.gif

OB banned me. I said things that were true.
cool.r191677.gif

They hate that.

Yep, they're impressive. Ended the season with two blowout losses and a total of more blowouts than any whorn team in more than 120 years of playing football. Extension coming any day now.

Originally posted by LongToothHorn:

Yes . . . How 'bout them Charlie Stronghorns???

happy0030.r191677.gif
Fat Ketch wrong yet again! KM was always an AG! Let's see 8.5 out of 10 chance that KM would go whorn? Or was it an 85% chance???
flush.r191677.gif

Have fun watching stronghorn tu football next year without a viable QB. All the while getting kicked in the mouth by some second rate Big12-4+2 basketball college.

HAhahahahahahahahhaahahahahahahha!

LongToothHorn...tell me again about those Charlie Stronghorns???
laugh.r191677.gif

Hahaha...never, ever, EVER brag too early. You should have known better.
wink.r191677.gif

Originally posted by Chile Pequin:
LongToothHorn...tell me again about those Charlie Stronghorns???
laugh.r191677.gif

Hahaha...never, ever, EVER brag too early. You should have known better.
wink.r191677.gif
Now, how about that? I was just thinking the exact same thing about you guys.

mack_trucks_grill.jpg

Congrats on getting your recruits back in the fold. They will be great!!

But, how does it feel to get out-recruited by such a recruiting dud in his first year? And he made it happen without a swag-copter!!

#SRTS . . .

laugh.r191677.gif

But, how does it feel to get out-recruited by such a recruiting dud in his first year? And he made it happen without a swag-copter!!

#SRTS . . .

laugh.r191677.gif
How does it feel to have no quarterback? And no offensive line? And no tackles on the D line? We filled needs; you added quality players in areas where you were already fine; you ignored areas of weakness. But things like that happen when your coach is a moron.

There are 20 recruits who signed with A&M or t.u. who have offers from both. Sixteen of them chose A&M. Your definition of "out-recruited" differs considerably from mine.

This post was edited on 2/4 4:31 PM by Battalion Ex

#SRTS . . .

laugh.r191677.gif
Outrecruited? Maybe you should go check the Rivals rankings again. Oh and when both teams are within 2 or 3 spots in the rankings from the other, it's kinda splittin' hairs, eh? Oh well, what little momentum your boy Charlie picked up since Malik committed, will be long gone after your team wins 5 games or less next fall. You know it's going to be an ugly season with that horrible OL you have...and no QB....and what real talent you had on D is now gone. I'm going to enjoy it immensely.
happy.r191677.gif

Top 5 teams that have signed top 300 recruits

Bama - 19
Georgia - 15
Texas - 14
Clemson - 13
Lsu - 12

Not bad for a "3 Star Charlie", and you all know it.

Recruits holding offers from both A&M and Texas = 21

A&M landed: 16

Texas landed: 5

So Sumlin still runs this state. Oh and...Rivals has Charlie's class ranked 12...Sumlin's 10. Wah, wah wah...you lose at every angle you want to approach this, LTH.
3dgrin.r191677.gif

It's all about filling needs and especially filling needs at the skilled positions....uhhh cough... like maybe at the QUARTERBACK position for example.

Does Charlie have a capable punter with a heavily callused foot?

Scout: UT 6/ A&M 8
ESPN: UT 7/ A&M 10
247: UT 11/ A&M 12
Rivals: UT 11/A&M 10

When you start screaming, it's not a sign that you're doing well in a debate.

The only reason your rankings are higher is because you are taking more players than we are.

Average rating per player is higher for A&M on Scout and on 247. Even taking 29 recruits to our 25 couldn't push you past us on Rivals. And no one thinks the ranking given to you by your crooked business partners at ESPN are legit; they're just trying to create some kind of buzz in a losing attempt to prop up their failed investment in the LHN.

Because Charlie couldn't get recruits in areas of desperate need (QB, OL and DL), I hope you're not making any plans to attend a bowl game after the 2015 season.

What you have to look forward to this fall is more scenes like this one, recorded five minutes before kickoff in your spectacular Thanksgiving home-closer disaster against Purple Baylor:

Texas-TCU20141835HoursTwitter_zps7c3df4f1.jpg

Originally posted by Battalion Ex:

When you start screaming, it's not a sign that you're doing well in a debate.

The only reason your rankings are higher is because you are taking more players than we are.

Average rating per player is higher for A&M on Scout and on 247. Even taking 29 recruits to our 25 couldn't push you past us on Rivals. And no one thinks the ranking given to you by your crooked business partners at ESPN are legit; they're just trying to create some kind of buzz in a losing attempt to prop up their failed investment in the LHN.

Because Charlie couldn't get recruits in areas of desperate need (QB, OL and DL), I hope you're not making any plans to attend a bowl game after the 2015 season.

What you have to look forward to this fall is more scenes like this one, recorded five minutes before kickoff in your spectacular Thanksgiving home-closer disaster against Purple Baylor:

Sorry about the large font. It was a lazy cut and paste on my part and not intended to be yelling.

Apparently, neither of us trusts ESPN reporting. From this side of things they seem to kiss SEC's colo-rectal sphincter at every opportunity. Certainly ESPN shows as little respect to Texas and Big 12 as possible.

It is not my intention to demean the aTm class. I think you Aggies have yourselves a pretty decent class. Still dominated by other SEC classes, but a class not to be ashamed of in any way.

I'm simply pointing out that the premise of this thread: that "Charlie Strong is somehow a poor recruiter" is well off the mark. Charlie Strong has done a surprisingly good job of recruiting this season, imo, particularly considering the cluster f'k he walked into and the limited amount of time he's had to get things turned around. Mack left us in horrible shape and this past season is only the half of what he did.

No swag-copter, no time, no relationships developed with Texas recruits and a lousy record this past season - and still he ended up with a class on about the same level (one way or another) as the Aggie class. Not bad for a newb recruiter at UT.

Suppose you already know that Charlie's coaching career started at aTm. So there's that. I've linked a video of his impressive career bio. I invite you to take a look at it. Perhaps it just may change your thinking about Charlie as it did mine to a large degree. I believe we have the right man in the job and I have grown to respect what he's done and the direction we are moving under his leadership. I would be helping you to tell you that it would be a mistake to continue to underestimate him.

With this year's recruiting done, next comes player development then game days. We shall see. But if recruiting is any indication of what to expect for player development and game day, I am hopeful we are well on our way to a big improvement. We shall see.

This post was edited on 2/5 8:48 AM by LongToothHorn

Charlie Strong Journey

Charlie did not address the glaring weakness at QB. Even if he had, it is next to impossible for a true freshman to come in that next fall and lead a rebuilding team to many victories. They will be rebuilding as they lose most of their top defensive guys...lost 3 OL guys from an already weak OL...lost their two best WRs but didn't exactly fill those openings when you take into consideration that Charlie has stated he wants to go more uptempo and more passing game. His one QB recruit is not exactly a sure fire elite QB prospect but rather an "athlete" that Jimbo was willing to offer as a QB "project"...Lastly, winning in football starts up front and Charlie didn't exactly sign the type of OL/DL prospects it takes to win consistently. Did he have a good class considering where the program was when he arrived and having a bad season on the field? Absolutely. With this class, did he fill positions of need? Not hardly. He did well at RB, LB and DB....not QB, OL and DL...and to me, those were the three glaring weaknesses that needed to be addressed...and he did not get it done. Stars and rankings don't mean much if you do not sign players to fill positions of weakness.

On paper, it looks like another bad to mediocre season on the field next fall. That will mark two years back to back for Charlie. The folks on the Forty Acres don't have a lot of patience for coaches not winning 8, 9 or more games in a season. I do believe they will give him 3 years minimum regardless of how bad/good he does next fall....but if he does have another bad season on the field, you can expect the masses to be calling for his head and he'll land on the infamous "Hot Seat" with the media. That will most definitely change perception and that "he has the program headed in the right direction"...which ultimately will have an adverse effect on recruiting and the 16' class. So while he's currently riding a wave of momentum, all of that will be forgotten if/when he has another bad season the field next fall. In few words...Charlie needs a miracle to happen next fall.

Can you check back in when all the grade risks get filtered out? Thanks!

Hello, I've never visited your forum but it's off season, and I'm bored.

I saw this little nugget of a thread and couldn't resist.

Now, since we are in the middle of 2016 recruiting, I thought I'd come over a say, that you guys talked a lot of stuff about Strong and his recruiting, but so far we are doing pretty well. I know I know, we are ranked 48 or is it 52? I don't keep up with recruiting rankings in July. What I do keep up with is quality of recruits we have recruited. Texas so far has 3 4'stars and 4 3'star kids committed openly. I won't count silent commits since they haven't announced.

I'm really excited about Shane Buechele, he was by far the top QB at Elite 11. The praise they gave him was pretty huge, I believe they said he already possessed the mechanics of Drew Brees and Aaron Rogers. Big words for a not yet senior in high school. But they weren't the only ones to see that, Looks like several recruits also took notice.

I'm also really excited about Collin Johnson, I love those 6'6 receivers who have track speed. Roy Williams comes to mind, but this kid is my favorite. He is son of Longhorn legend Johnny Johnson.
I really shouldn't stop there, I'm pretty excited about all our receivers, it should be a great class, I think we take one more, and I actually think we are going to flip Dee Anderson away from LSU.

Still I and most Longhorn fans are worried about or Oline and DT recruiting. Signs point to that turning around, but until we get some commitments I'm going to continue to be worried.

As for you guys, I like a couple of the players you have committed. Love Jackson, he going to be good. I also really like Fuller. But that makes sense since they are both of your 4'star commitments. You guys made a big deal about Texas taking a lot of 3'star kids a few years ago, I really didn't care. I'm a huge fan of guys that have a rivals ranking of about 5.7 on their ratings scale. If I had my way I'd take a class with a few 5'star difference makers and the rest I'd want guys who were ranked 5.7. They are the guys who are ranked as 3'star but could be 4'star. They are also the guys that come into a program and bust their asses to prove those silly ranking systems were crap. I like that. Give me a kid with 4'star ability willing to bust their asses any day over a guy ranked 4 or 5'star who thinks their rankings means everything will be given to them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT