ADVERTISEMENT

Having to win shootouts?!

JustAvgIllini

Known Member
Gold Member
Dec 9, 2007
Is this where we are this year? From what I've seen thus far season, I think so. Here are some reasons why....
  • Despite O Line concerns, our offense is way ahead of the defense. Call it the Petrino effect. Even in our poor loss at Miami, the offense carried us. 33 points is still 33 points. We should have had even more.
  • Conner is getting better every game. You can see the influence Petrino, and yes Jimbo, are having on him, plus the experience of just playing D-1 football. He just has "it," like Johnny said.
  • We are deep at receiver and TE, but more so at receiver. Conner is building rapport with all of them. That will make us very dangerous if we can keep the guys healthy. I really like Walker. The fish are coming on. Gotta keep Moose engaged. And 0, well, he is just a problem for anyone.
  • The running backs are starting to come on. The pass pro is still spotty but improved. It did take Moss getting in the game to show Daniels & Owens that sometimes running is more about sticking your nose in there and being decisive. Make the cut and go. I think we've been a little too east-west all year.
  • On to the defense... I'll be honest. I just don't trust Durkin. His schemes, substitution patterns and development all seem to be a mess to me. Yeah, I know what the stats from yesterday look like, but I watch games like this for how I think we'll be against better competition and I saw...
  • More 3 man fronts. Worse, I saw our best pass rushers covering slots or dropping into deep middle Tampa 2 zone coverage. We can't get to the QB and this is how Durkin plans to fix it in conference?! I said in another post it almost appears our aggressiveness has been coached out of some the kids. I stand by that sentiment. We see flashes of what they could be if Durkin would stop pulling them off the field every 2 plays. Turner, Nolen, Stewart. They never have a chance to find a groove with the revolving door subbing.
  • We have a weak secondary. Though I will concede I really like the change to Matthews. He needs to stay in. Harmon also played well. That said, we absolutely must protect the back end with some pressure up front. I'm just not convinced Durkin knows how to do that properly with twists, stunts or well disguised blitzes.
  • I honestly believe we'll have to out score a lot of opponents this year and that really gets my goat because I also believe we have a lot of talent to shut teams down some.
Maroon Offense (with Hope for the Defense) Goggles On, Gig'em!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News